Do you work in the food industry? Do you want to improve your skills in New Product Development? By participating, you’ll acquire expertise in the creation of innovative products within the food market! Join the workshop and become an expert in the development of new products in the food market!
The NPD workshop is a unique opportunity to learn through experience, meet professionals working in the food industry and expand knowledge in the field of new product development. You can:
- Develop your NPD skills by learning through experience!
- Learn how to create and execute NPD projects by understanding the market and consumer needs!
- Apply sensory analysis in the process of food design!
- Discover how to handle competing project requirements and constraints!
- Understand the role of sensory evaluation in new product development and learn sensory analysis tools!
- Team up with professionals from RIS countries and identify how to meet the needs of food sector customers!
- Network and share your experiences with directors, managers, researchers, scientists and other experts working in the agri-food industry!
- Get a professional training certificate!
- Gain new knowledge on NPD in the food industry, apply it in practice and make the difference!
Become an expert in New Product Development!
The training is designed for food professionals who wish to improve their competencies in a particular area.
The ideal applicant should:
- Be a food professional employed in companies, academia or research institutes
- Have an entrepreneurial approach to problem solving and willingness to share their knowledge with other participants of the New Product Development training
- Have relevant knowledge and experience in the food sector (please check each session on the Competency Framework to make sure it fits your needs and experience well)
- Have working knowledge of English language (the course will be held in English)
- Be a citizen of one of the RIS countries, including:
– EU Member States: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain.
– Horizon Europe Associated Countries: Montenegro, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine.
– Outermost Regions: Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Réunion, Martinique, Mayotte and Saint-Martin (France), the Azores and Madeira (Portugal), and the Canary Islands (Spain).
Course duration: The NPD Skills training will be divided into 4 separate online courses and 2 separate in-person sessions in Warsaw. Participants, according to their preferences and interests, have the possibility to recruit for a selected number of courses
Location: Blended-learning course: online and Warsaw session on 29 & 30.06.2023
- Certificate of completion
What will you learn?
You will learn the following competencies:
- Mobilise resources to create sustainable value for others
- Design and implement effective actions to deliver an impact
- Implement effective actions to support the creation of sustainability impacts.
- Mobilise resources to create sustainable value for others.
- Appraise the problem space. Appraise the validity of new ideas
- Critical Thinking:
- Collect, analyse, interpret and report information to develop sustainable solutions to current and future challenges.
- Appraise different strategies to deliver a food system innovation.
- Demonstrate leadership towards the implementation of a food system innovation
Structure & Modules
The NPD Skills workshop brings together food professionals from different backgrounds and countries. It offers a professional blended-learning training aimed to encourage the development of pioneering product ideas in the food industry in RIS countries. The workshop is designed to teach the tools, techniques and best practices developed to support the NPD process and enable participants to learn through experience.
The innovative formula of the workshop enables participants to choose which of the thematic paths they wish to follow in order to gain new knowledge in a specific area relating to new product development in the food market, as well as developing their specialist competences.
The workshop is composed of the following sessions:
Consumer-centric approach in New Product Development: by the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand the application of a consumer-centric approach in co-creation
- Comprehend and apply the principles of design thinking in NPD
- Improve ability to choose appropriate tools to facilitate idea generation and screening
- Advance skills to apply techniques that facilitate consumer-centric co-creation
- Develop skills to build concepts based on the persona approach
Project management in New Product Development: by the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Identify what information is needed to plan a New Product Development project in the food industry scenario
- Apply project management tools to the New Product Development process
- Plan an execution of a New Product Development project being able to incorporate previous experience and lessons learned derived from other new product development processes the food industry
Sensory evaluation and it’s role in food product design: by the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Understand the role of sensory analysis in food product development and demonstrate differences between analytical and affective tests used for sensory evaluation purposes
- Use sensory analysis to successfully design and/or reformulation of food products
- Skillfully use sensory analysis methods to collect data, analyse and interpret them, to provide sustainable solutions in the form of high quality products responding to consumer needs
Functional food: theory and practice – by the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Implement innovation incorporating principles of functional food design, with special attention to health-promoting values
- Use nutrition and health claims in process of functional products development by creating competitive advantages in the market and responding to consumer needs
The detailed schedule of New Product Development training:
- Functional food: theory and practice
– 05.06.2023 (3:40 – 6:00 p.m.)
– 06.06.2023 (5:30 – 7:15 p.m.)
- Project management
– 14.06.2023 (8:15 – 11:30 a.m.)
– 21.06.2023 (8:15 – 11:30 a.m.)
In-person courses (in Warsaw, Poland):
- Consumer-centric approach in New Product Development
– 29.06.2023 (9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Sensory evaluation and its role in food product design
– 30.06.2023 (9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Career development in the food sector.
I truly encouraged people who are working or are anyway connected with food industry, including R&D, innovation, tech and more, to apply, when reopens, to EIT FOOD new-product-development. It’s a great chance to learn more about this subject and apply to your work all the info from this program. More than that is a chance to enlarge your business network with high level experts from the industry. Great people and very good organized, to the level of irreproachable.
I feel the NPD Course has had a great impact on both my professional and personal skills, boosting both my confidence in my designer and management skills, as well as giving me some solid knowledge about the process.
Recently, I have been supervising three student-led projects, which have benefited greatly from the NPD training. They are mostly devoted to the development of students’ research, design and teamwork skills.
At the end of August I participated in the event organized by EIT Food on New Product Development for the Food Industry. Even though this year this event took place online due to the current global situation and not in Warsaw (Poland) as originally planned, the organizers did an amazing job! I learned new things about design thinking, PEF technology, functional foods, project management and we performed also sensory analysis tests.