There is a need to strengthen the efforts in controlling the authenticity of food products to recover the consumer´s trust. This training in portable DNA analysis will introduce participants to innovative rapid and portable DNA analysis tools for species and ingredients verification. These tools can be relatively easily implemented in routine analysis to verify products’ authenticity.
The training will have an applied orientation exploring both general innovative technical aspects through lectures, together with practical hands-on laboratory work
Topics will include DNA extraction and DNA analysis techniques, including DNA amplification and detection and DNA sequencing, and knowledge in sequence analysis.
It is directed to Professionals involved in quality control of products from industries or control laboratories with no experience in DNA analysis.
This training is targeted to:
- Professionals involved in quality control of products in industries or control laboratories with no or limited experience in DNA analysis.
- Technicians or graduates
- Applications are accepted from European countries and Israel.
- Interested candidates should apply using the Dream Appy portal to be considered for the training.
November 15th-17th, 2022 in AZTI (Derio, Spain).
- Language: English
- Certificate of completion
What you learn?
You will learn the following competencies:
- Food Systems:
- Champion systems approaches to appraise current and future challenges to the food system
- Educate and support others to develop innovative responses to address sustainability challenges
- Problem Solving:
- Critically appraise the problem space to analyse the strategic implications of future choices
- Mobilise effective co-creation methodologies to generate original and sustainable solutions that include relevant voices
- Critical Thinking:
- Critically analyse, interpret and report data and information to inform ethical decision making
- Challenge existing practices and knowledge to develop sustainable alternatives
- Technology management:
- Develop strategies to mobilise and manage appropriate technologies in innovation processes
- Develop and lead the implementation of novel technologies
- Devise adequate IPR management strategies
Structure & Modules
The complexity of the food supply chains has made them highly vulnerable to food fraud, leading to a drop in consumer trust and a demand for transparent traceability systems. To overcome this issue, implementing routine analytical methods for food products, together with the digitalisation of the obtained data within traceability systems, is crucial. In this sense, implementing rapid and portable DNA analysis tools to verify authenticity would be extremely helpful.
To encourage this implementation as routine analysis, we propose this training focusing on portable and fast DNA analysis methods for food products to improve authenticity evaluation skills from professionals at industry, retail, or control laboratories. These activities would cover from a quick overview of the basics of genetic analysis applied to food authenticity to practical demos in which easy-to-use, cost-effective technologies would be used.
At the end of the professional development trainings, participants will have gained:
- A better understanding of food fraud
- An overview of state-of-the-art DNA analytical tools to tackle food fraud
- A holistic view of available portable DNA analysis technologies
- Hands-on experience and improved skills in DNA-based analysis
- A better understanding of common principles and technical implementation requirements
- Criteria for choosing which methods are more suitable for their needs and expectations
- Skills in how to integrate derived information in traceability systems through digital technologies
- Understanding of the strengths, weaknesses and limitations of available methods for detecting food fraud and confirming food authenticity