The aim of this online professional development course is to provide introductory training and theory in algal biology, culturing, growth and biotechnology under laboratory and small scale pilot facilities. The workshop will run for three days hosted virtually by the University of Cambridge Algal Innovation Centre (AIC) (UK), Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS), Fraunhofer Institute for Interfacial Engineering and Biotechnology IGB (Germany) and Matis (Iceland).
The programme runs online but is coordinated in UK/Iceland/Germany.
Learners will receive an optional workshop pack in the post that contains products, flyers, and information related to the algal industry. The programme will provide an unrivaled opportunity for postgraduate, postdoctorate and industry researchers to be trained in algal biotechnology research and to network with others in the sector in our breakout and networking sessions. Please note that the course will not be recorded.
The programme lasts 3 days, from the 6th until the 8th of December 2022.
- Language: English
What you learn?
You will learn the following competencies:
- Food Systems:
- Analyse the food system using a range of systems approaches to appraise current and future sustainability challenges
- Implement innovative responses to address sustainability challenges in the food system
- Problem Solving:
- Appraise the problem space to identify current and future needs
- Mobilise effective methodologies to generate new ideas
- Appraise the validity of new ideas and co-create sustainable solutions
- Critical Thinking:
- Collect, analyse, interpret and report information to develop sustainable solutions to current and future challenges
- Appraise unintended consequences of any course of action to devise ethical goals
- Technology management:
- Appraise the efficacy of existing and emerging technologies in innovation processes
- Mobilise appropriate technologies in innovation processes
- Contribute to the development of new technologies
- Manage IPRs
Structure & Modules
The format includes a daily programme of lecture/seminars introducing the theory of techniques, SOPs best practice and live demonstration of equipment and facilities. Learners will receive a workshop pack in the post.
Click here to download the list of speakers and timetable for the course.